Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Oh the Joys of Kids....=)

One of my goals is to regularly update the blog and turn it into something like a baby book. I have some pictures and activities that I want to add, but today's events I wanted to make sure I wrote down while I was still thinking about them...=)

I guess you could say life isn't dull with 3 small children. I finally (after two years) made an appointment to get the kids pictures taken. The original appointment was last Wednesday. The day started out great, I had everyone up, bathed, dressed, fed and out the door by 8:30. Plenty of time to stop for a coffee and to change and comb hair before the appointment at 9:30. We got just north of Gretna and all of the sudden Kate stops goofing around with Abby and starts screaming in this panicked sort of voice. We'd been exposed to the stomach flu earlier in the week from our neighbor boy, so immediately my mind went to her getting sick. And sure enough, a couple a seconds later she threw up all over herself. Poor kid. It was the first time for her and she was mortified. So needless to say, we rescheduled pictures! =)

Fast forward to this week. Pictures are scheduled for tomorrow. The weather is horrid for May. Cold, windy and probably rainy tomorrow. The complete opposite of last week. Strike #1 against getting pictures taken tomorrow. Strike #2 We all are either coming down with a cold or suffering from allergies (which would be weird, because, um, it's been raining, but whatever). Strike #3 After lunch, the girls went to their room and played while I cleaned up the kitchen and relaxed a bit. Usually we read stories right away and they go down for a nap, but they were playing so quietly (this should have been my first warning) that I decided to switch things up. After awhile, when I went into their room to let them know it was time to read stories, I was greeted by this overwhelming smell of fake fruit. When the girls heard the door open, they looked up at me and both had this look on their face they said GUILTY. Yep, they'd decided they wanted to make their hair colorful with blue, fruit scented chapstick. It.was.everywhere. Abby's bangs and all over Kate's hair. For the first time in my parenting career I couldn't keep a straight face when I needed to. They looked ridiculous and they knew they done something wrong. I wasn't about to give them a bath then (hello naptime?!?! I'm not giving that up!) so I put cornstarch all through their hair in an attempt to soak up the grease. After naptime, I washed, rinsed, repeated several times. Tried the cornstarch thing again and lathered up with baby shampoo and baking soda. So far it's out of Abby's hair for the most part, but Kate's is another story. It's better, but not great. I may get her up early tomorrow and try the above again and add vinegar to the mix. We'll see if we actually get pictures taken tomorrow or rescheduled again.

Oh and earlier in the day? A bird poop incident. The girls were playing outside and came up the stairs telling me they'd found something kind of strange. Kate had picked it up to show me. At first I thought it was mushrooms, but when I'd asked them where they found it they pointed a big spot on the patio that was full of bird poop. It was a massive, fresh, gooey wet piece of bird poop. They hightailed it inside (complete with trailing mud until I could tell them to get their shoes off) to get their hands washed. With soap. Lots of soap. Yuck! Next time I told them to have me come see what they have a question about instead of bringing it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment